This work is an exquisite example of Vermeire’s lyrical Expressionism for which he was widely acclaimed. Jules Vermeire is one of the artists who played an important role in the development of the New Hague School after the second world war. Born in Belgium, Vermeire went to live in the Netherlands in 1910, where he shared a studio with Chris Lebeau. His early inspiration was drawn from Eastern art. In 1914-1924 Vermeire lived in Huizen before settling permanently in The Hague. He started working with wood, but later evolved to bronze and stone, primarily creating stylized heads leaving part of the stone rough and unfinished in a manner that shared affinities with Zadkine.
Several other artists who also took refuge in the Netherlands at the outbreak of war included Gustave de Smet and Frits van den Berghe as well as the writer René de Clercq who opened a gallery “De Blauwvoet” in Bussum in 1919. Vermeire was at the centre of this circle, and along with Modest Huys, Pol Dom, and Edgar van Uytvanck they formed the “Open Wegen” group.
Vermeire exhibited extensively and became established as a leading figure of the New Hague School. A large selection of his work is now in the permanent collection of the Gemeentemuseum.